If the headset only has sound on one side, this may be due to a technical problem. Both the hardware and the software can be responsible for this. If you find the exact cause, the problem can be easily solved.
Headset sound only on one side – Causes
If the sound only comes out of one side of the headset, be it from the console or the PC, this can be due to the cable, among other things. If the plug is not connected correctly or if there is a loose contact, there will be interference. Otherwise, an incorrectly set sound balance can also cause the interference.
- To check the sound balance in Windows 10, right-click on the speaker icon. Under playback devices, you can adjust the balance in the properties. This is also possible in the properties of the consoles.
- Reinstalling the device driver can also solve the problem. The driver can be uninstalled in the device manager, which can be found by pressing Win+X. The reinstallation takes place automatically the next time the device is restarted.
- It is also possible that the defect is located directly in the loudspeaker. To check this, you should test the headset on several devices. In such a case, you should contact a dealer or manufacturer and replace the unit if necessary.
How to troubleshoot a headset
While you can only remedy a fault in the handset itself by buying a new headset, loose contacts can also be repaired temporarily. These faults usually occur at the points where the cable is directly connected. In the case of a headset, these are the remote control or the plug.
- Once the loose contact is there, a small movement is enough and the sound is gone. To fix this, all you need is a bit of tape. You can use this to secure the cable again and fix it directly to the loose spots.
- However, this is only a temporary solution. If you want a completely repaired headset, you will have to go to a specialist. In many cases, however, it is better to buy a completely new headset right away.