Many users don’t even know what Spotify is exactly and how it works. We therefore explain everything you need to know about the popular music streaming service that is outstripping CDs.
What is Spotify – get a good explanation here
Spotify is one of many music streaming services:
- You can listen to songs legally on your smartphone and PC via the internet. Meanwhile, Spotify is also available as an app on many televisions.
- Thanks to providers like Spotify, Deezer, Tidal and Co. downloading music is no longer necessary. The music is streamed via the internet, i.e. only temporarily stored. However, it is also possible to download individual songs if desired.
- 31 January 2023: Music streaming market leader Spotify has passed the 200 million subscription customer mark. At the end of last quarter, the Swedish company had 205 million paying users. This means that ten million subscription customers were added within three months. Overall, the number of users in the paid and free versions rose from 456 million to 489 million at the end of September, according to Spotify.
More than just music: this is what Spotify can do
Spotify’s offering is huge, with 40 million songs.
- Thanks to the cooperation with the major music labels such as Universal, Warner and Sony, almost all artists are represented on Spotify. Only very small artists without a label often cannot be played.
- You can always search for your favourite songs, albums and artists using the search function. If you listen to certain songs over and over again, you can create your own playlists and share them with friends.
- If you don’t want to go through the hassle of putting together your own music, you can check out Spotify’s many pre-made playlists. From workout to shower playlists, Spotify has the right music for every occasion.
- In addition to music, Spotify also offers more and more audio books and podcasts. Spotify has now created a separate category for this.
- Find out what else Spotify can do in the following practical tip on Spotify’s functions.
What does Spotify cost?
Using Spotify is completely free. However, you will have to live with advertisements.
All you need is a free account. You can register using your email address or conveniently via your Facebook login.
- For 9.99 euros per month, you get the premium subscription.
- For students, Spotify costs only 4.99 a month. As a family, you benefit from Spotify Premium in the Family Version. Up to 6 members of a household pay 14.99 together here.
- There are many more features available in the Premium version. Among other things, you can store music offline and thus save your data volume on the go.
- The biggest advantage of Spotify Premium, however, is the lack of advertising. In order for Spotify to offer the free model, ads are played on average every 30 minutes between two songs.
Spotify is available as software for Windows and Mac OS, as well as an app for Android and iOS. Here you can find all the free downloads for Spotify.