Flap exhausts are popular mainly because of their sound. Driving through the countryside with a roaring engine may be a real pleasure for some motor enthusiasts. The special type of exhaust system contributes to increased performance.
Flap exhausts: how they work
A flapper exhaust system is a special type of exhaust system that allows the driver to control the sound and performance of their vehicle. The following explains how such a system works.
- Basically, a flap exhaust system consists first of an exhaust manifold, a main pipe and a rear silencer, all connected together. This means that the flap exhaust system is initially no different from a regular exhaust system. In the main pipe, however, there is a flap unit that is operated by an electronic control unit.
- When the flaps in the system are closed, the exhaust flow is directed through the rear silencer, which reduces the noise level of the engine. This is particularly useful in situations where you want or need to keep the vehicle quiet, for example in populated areas.
- When the flaps are open, on the other hand, the exhaust flows through a special branch in the main pipe that directs the exhaust flow directly out of the engine. This results in increased engine power and a louder sound.
- The flaps can be operated in different ways: Either via manual control or via automatic control activated by the accelerator pedal or other sensors.
Winged exhaust systems: These are the advantages
The main advantage of a flap exhaust system is the ability to vary the performance and sound of the vehicle without having to change the exhaust or the entire system. This modification is particularly popular for sporty vehicles, as the driver can decide individually and depending on the situation whether he wants a quiet or loud exhaust.
- By opening the flaps, the exhaust flow is directed directly out of the engine, which, depending on the installation, can result in higher vehicle performance. This is particularly useful on sporty vehicles when they need a power boost.
- A flap exhaust system allows the driver to control the sound of the engine by opening and closing the flaps. This can be adjusted according to driving conditions and the driver’s personal preferences.
- The flap exhaust system can improve exhaust flow and reduce drag, which can result in better engine performance.
- With better performance and exhaust flow, a flapper exhaust system can also improve engine efficiency, which can result in better fuel economy.