Wondering whether the iPhone 14 or the iPhone 15 is better? Whether a switch is worthwhile for you depends on your requirements
iPhone 14 or iPhone 15: Who should upgrade?
On September 12, 2023, Apple introduced the iPhone 15 series. As with the previous generation, there are four models.
- Switching from the iPhone 14 to the iPhone 15 could be worthwhile, especially if you are interested in a better camera, USB-C and Dynamic Island.
- It is less advisable to switch from the Pro models of the iPhone 14 to the iPhone 15. Compared to its predecessor, it has a different titanium casing, USB-C and the Action button. Beyond that, however, there are no brilliant improvements
iPhone 15 (Pro): New features compared to the predecessor
The iPhone 15 models come with some new features:
- Larger display with Dynamic Island: The standard iPhone 15 model gets a 0.1 inch (2.54 mm) larger display with Dynamic Island. The notch, which was previously installed in the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus, has been removed in the new generation. The refresh rate of 60 Hz will not change in the basic models.
- Better camera: The main camera of the iPhone 14 and the Plus model is getting an upgrade. The resolution of the main camera has been increased to 48 megapixels, which is as good as that of the iPhone 14 Pro. The ultra-wide-angle camera remains at 12 megapixels as before. There are not many changes to the camera in the Pro models. However, the sensor of the main camera is slightly larger. This should ensure better photos in poor light
- New chip: The iPhone 15 gets an upgrade from the A15 to the A16 Bionic chip. This is currently only installed in the iPhone 14 Pro models. The Pro models will receive the new A17 Plus.
- Connection: Apple is changing the connection from Lightning to USB-C on all iPhone 15 models due to an EU directive.
- Battery: There are no significant improvements to the battery. Although the battery capacity has increased in all models, the battery life specified by Apple has not changed. There are also no improvements to the charging speed:
- New design: The iPhone 15 models are slightly more rounded than their predecessors. Another new feature is that the frame of the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max is made of titanium. This makes the frame less susceptible to fingerprints and gives the smartphone a more premium look.
- Controls: There is no longer a mute switch on the Pro models. Instead, there is an action button. You can specify which action the button should perform. The basic iPhone 15 models still have the classic mute button:
- Price: Apple is lowering the price of the iPhone 15 series slightly for the first time. The iPhone 15 and 15 Plus cost 949 euros and 1099 euros respectively, making them 50 euros cheaper than their predecessors. The iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max cost 1199 euros and 1499 euros respectively. They are therefore 100 euros and 130 euros cheaper than their predecessors
- Updates: New iPhones will always receive the latest iOS operating system for the next five to six years and critical security updates for even longer. So if you buy an iPhone 15, you can look forward to support until 2028/2029