If you discover a HEIC file on your iPhone, you may not know what kind of file it is. This much in advance: It is an image format.
What a HEIC file is
The abbreviation is also known as HEIF and stands for High Efficiency Image Format.
- It is an image format for space-saving storage of images on mobile devices.
- iOS devices store images in HEIC files, on Android devices you will usually find HEIF images.
- The advantage of this image format is a small file size with JPEG quality or even better.
To convert HEIC files
Converting a HEIC file to a JPEG is quite easy.
- If you have iOS 11 or later installed, photos will be automatically converted to JPEG format when transferred to a PC or Mac if you set the appropriate setting.
- You can find these in the settings on your iOS device. Navigate here to “Photos”.
- Scroll all the way down to “Transfer to Mac or PC”. Check the box for “Automatically”.
- Alternatively, you can also convert a HEIC file into a JPEG online, for example if you have received an image in this format.
- You can find an appropriate converter, for example, on the page convercio.co.
- The websites heic.online and apowersoft.com also offer such a service. You can convert a HEIC file here not only into JPEG format, but also optionally into PNG or BMP.