Few people know who owns Sky Deutschland. Sky is one of the largest pay-TV providers in Germany and is particularly known for broadcasting football matches and successful HBO series.
Who owns Sky
Sky is one of the largest media groups in Germany and is based in Unterföhring near Munich.
- Sky Deutschland is the successor to the pay-TV channel Premiere, which was founded in 1990 and went on air in 1991.
- After several changes of ownership and restructuring, Premiere AG was renamed Sky Deutschland AG in July 2009. 2009 is considered the founding year of today’s media group.
- Sky Deutschland is part of the European Sky Group, which was acquired by the US Comcast Corporation in 2018.
- Thus, Sky Deutschland is currently owned by Comcast Corporation, which also owns the US media company NBCUniversal.
- One of the most successful series broadcast by Sky Deutschland (for the first time in the Federal Republic) are productions by HBO – including “Game of Thrones”, “Westworld”, “Euphoria”, “True Detective”, “Veep” and “Chernobyl”. HBO is not a sister company, however, but has a licensing agreement with Sky.
- Sky also has its own productions, for example the series “Babylon Berlin” and “Das Boot”.