DALL-E was free for some time, now you need credits to use the AI tool. There is, however, a free alternative.
DALL-E free of charge – this is no longer possible without restrictions
DALL-E is a so-called image-generating artificial intelligence. DALL-E was developed by the start-up OpenAI, in which Microsoft has been involved for some time.
- The tool DALL-E and its successor DALL-E 2 were initially free of charge. After registering, you first received so-called credits as a gift, exactly 50. You exchanged these credits for commands with which you told DALL-E which images you wanted. For an image generation command, you “paid” one credit.
- OpenAI gave you another 15 credits every month. If you needed even more credits, you had to buy additional credits. A package includes 115 credits and costs you around 15 US dollars.
- For the credits, the AI DALL-E creates images based on your specifications. Using the web tool is as easy as using a search engine. You enter text and the tool generates the matching images. You may then use the images created by the AI without restriction and also make modifications with the help of an image editing programme.
- Only users who have registered with DALL-E 2 before 6 April 2023 can continue to use the service free of charge by drawing on the monthly credit quota.
- New rules apply to all users who signed up after 6 April 2023: There will no longer be any monthly gifts for them. If you want to use DALL-E, you have to buy a package.
- Tip: There is a free alternative to DALL-E, and that is Bing Create. Go to the website and log in with your Microsoft account. In the text line, enter the description of the motif you want and click on “Create”.