If you’ve decided against a Kindle Scribe but still want a writable e-reader, there are a few alternatives on the market for you to choose from.
Kindle Scribe Alternative: reMarkable 2
This is what you should know about the E-Ink Reader:
- The reMarkable 2 impresses above all with a real paper feel and the conversion of handwriting into printed letters.
- Technical: The device has a USB-C connection, is 4.7 millimetres thin and weighs 404 grams. The accompanying stylus is available in standard and Pro versions. Both versions adhere magnetically to the e-reader and do not need to be charged. The Pro version has a built-in eraser and is slightly heavier.
- Display: The device has a screen size of 10.3 inches with a resolution of 226 DPI. The display does not have an integrated backlight, which is why it cannot be read in the dark, but can be read in bright sunlight without reflections.
- Price: The standard version of the e-ink tablet, including stylus, is available on the manufacturer’s website from approx. 430 euros.
Similar to the Kindle Scribe: Kobo Elipsa 2E
This is what the e-book reader can do:
- This e-ink tablet is particularly environmentally friendly. It is made from about 85 percent recycled plastic, of which about 10 percent comes from the ocean.
- Technical: The Kobo Elipsa also has a USB-C port for charging. In addition, the e-reader is 7.5 millimetres thick and weighs 390 grams. The accompanying stylus can also be charged via USB-C and has a built-in eraser.
- Dispaly: The size of the display is 10.3 inches and has a resolution of 227 DPI. The backlight of the screen allows you to read even in the dark, and both the brightness and colour temperature are adjustable.
- Price: You can get the Kobo Elipsa 2E for about 400 euros including the Kobo Stylus 2.
Kindle Scribe Alternative: Huawei MatePad Paper
These are the key features of the e-reader:
- With this device, you can even link audio recordings and notes. So when you click on the highlighted sentence, you can directly listen to the corresponding audio clip.
- Technical: The e-reader can be charged using a USB-C cable. The device is also 6.65 millimetres thick and weighs 360 grams. The stylus can be magnetically attached to the device. In addition, it is possible to switch between writing and erasing mode by tapping the stylus lightly.
- Display: The e-reader has a 10.3 inch screen with a resolution of 227 DPI. Due to the adjustable brightness, the device can also be used to read in the dark.
- Price: For about 500 euros you can get the e-ink reader including the Huawei M-Pencil from the manufacturer’s website.