The decision as to whether a PV system is worthwhile depends on factors such as your location and financial resources. PV systems are considered sustainable and environmentally conscious.
Making a decision on whether a PV system is worthwhile
The use of renewable energy, such as solar energy through photovoltaics (PV), has increased significantly in recent years. More and more people are recognising the benefits of this renewable energy source, whether for environmental reasons or to save money in the long term. But before you decide to install a PV system, you should know a few basic things about it.
- Location: The location of your house is crucial. A PV system performs best in regions with lots of sunshine. Check the annual solar radiation in your region to get an idea of the energy yield of your system.
- Investment costs: Buying and installing a PV system requires an initial investment. These costs can vary depending on the size and power of the system. You should carefully examine your financial situation and consider possible government subsidies or tax benefits.
- Savings and return on investment: A PV system allows you to generate your own electricity, which significantly reduces your electricity bill. In addition, you can feed surplus electricity into the grid and receive a feed-in tariff. The return on your investment depends on the savings and income over time.
- Maintenance and operation: PV systems require minimal maintenance, but you should consider the cost of occasional inspections and any repairs.
- Grid feed-in and self-consumption: Consider how much of the electricity you generate you will use yourself and how much you want to feed into the public grid. The self-consumption rate can influence profitability.
- Lifetime and warranties: Consider the lifetime of the PV system and the warranties offered by the manufacturer. This often affects long-term costs and reliability.
- Retention of value and property value: Remember that a PV system increases the value of your property. If you want to sell your house, this can be an advantage for you in the future.
The basics of photovoltaics: turning solar power into electrical energy
Photovoltaics is the conversion of sunlight into electrical energy.
- This is done with the help of solar cells arranged in solar panels. These cells are made of silicon and absorb photons from sunlight, setting electrons in motion and generating electricity. This electricity can then be used to power your home.
- A PV system is environmentally friendly and sustainable. It reduces dependence on fossil fuels and lowers greenhouse gas emissions, which helps fight climate change.
- In addition, solar cells require little maintenance and have a lifespan of around 25-35 years.