Due to their size, AirPods can easily be overlooked and washed along with them. Find out what you can do in such a case in this article.
What to do if your AirPods have been in the washing machine
If your AirPods have been in the washing machine, you need to act fast. This is because the first and second generation AirPods are not waterproof. However, the AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro are waterproof because they have an IPX4 certification.
- Like all tech devices, AirPods are sensitive to water. Do not turn on or charge AirPods after washing them.
- Let the AirPods dry for at least 24 hours. The longer you wait, the better.
- To dry, place the AirPods with the grid facing downwards so that residual moisture can escape more easily.
- Rice has also been proven to save electronics that have become damp. Place the AirPods in a can of rice and leave it open.
- After waiting, turn the AirPods back on. With any luck, they will still work.
How to get a replacement
Even if you did everything right after putting the AirPods in the washing machine, the damage may have already been done. In this case, you have two options.
- Repair: Before you buy new AirPods, take the headphones to your local Apple Retail Store or Apple Service Provider. There, the AirPods can be repaired. If you have AppleCare+, you only pay an excess of €29 per headphone and charging case.
- Replacement: If the headphones are damaged beyond repair, you can buy a single pair of headphones or just the charging case at the Apple Retail Store. In this case, a pair of headphones costs around €80 plus €12.10 shipping and handling. To avoid the shipping costs, buy them directly from your local Apple Store.