The iPhone has a number of advantages and changing the SIM card is undoubtedly one of them. In contrast to many other smartphones, changing the SIM card on an iPhone is done in a few seconds.
Changing the SIM card on an iPhone – what you need to know
While you usually have to take half the device apart to change the SIM card on other smartphones, this is not necessary on an iPhone. It only takes a few simple steps to change the SIM card on an iPhone.
- Apple has conveniently designed the SIM card slot so that you can open it from the outside. You don’t have to remove the smartphone shell to access the card slot.
- To open the slot for the SIM card, you received a small “pen” – which somewhat resembles a tuning fork – with the iPhone. If you have lost this utensil in the meantime, use a thin needle or a bent paper clip to open the SIM card slot.
- Apple designed the SIM card tray like a drawer where you can quickly put something in or take something out. There is a tiny round opening in the centre of the tray lid that you use to open the iPhone drawer.
- Place the stylus of the iPhone in this opening and apply light pressure with it. As a rule, the SIM card drawer will open immediately. After you have inserted the SIM card, close the drawer casually with a little push.
Change SIM card on iPhone – find the card slot here
The SIM card compartment on the iPhone can always be opened from the outside. Over time, however, Apple has placed the card slot in different locations. iPhones with the SIM card slot on the left side:
- iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Maxi and iPhone 12 mini
iPhone models with the sim card slot on the right side
But there are also iPhones with the SIM card tray on the right side:
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max as well as iPhone XR
- iPhone SE (1st generation) and iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 6s
- iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c
- iPhone 4 (GSM model) and iPhone 4s
iPhone models with the sim card slot on the top
iPhones with the SIM card tray on the top are:
- iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS
- Original iPhone