Truth Social is the name of the social network founded by former US President Donald Trump. Here we explain what this internet platform is all about.
What’s behind Truth Social
Ex US President Donald Trump has founded his own social network. It is called Truth Social and is supposed to offer an alternative to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. The slogan “Follow the truth” translates as.
- Donald Trump wants to launch his own social network, Truth Social, and create a Twitter-like medium for “open, free and honest conversation without discrimination against political ideologies. “
- Reason: Conventional social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook suspended Trump’s accounts after he called for storming the US Capitol.
- The Truth Social internet platform can so far only be accessed from the US. Truth Social appeared in the American App Store for Apple’s iPhone on 21 February 2022. However, users had problems getting started.
- Trump had announced the platform in October to stand up to the “tyranny” of big tech companies. The 75-year-old’s social media activities have particular significance in light of speculation about a possible run in the 2024 US presidential election.
- On the website of Trump Media & Technology Group, the company behind the new platform, a video shows what Truth Social is supposed to look like. In it, it looks like the platform will resemble Twitter. The head of Trump’s media group TMTG, Devin Nunes, told Fox News that the goal is to have Truth Social fully functional by the end of March.
- It is already known, however, that the new network is not only a mouthpiece but also a source of money for Trump. He founded the Trump Media & Technology Group (TMTG) to run Truth Social and merged with the company Digital World Acquisition Corporation (DWAC).
- Since DWAC, as a listed company, indirectly also takes TMTG public, substantial amounts of money are already flowing in Trump’s favour before the actual kickoff of the network. In addition, Trump has already been able to acquire one billion dollars through investors for his new network.
- 13 October 2022: Truth Social will also be available in Google’s App Store in the future. The decision was made after Truth Social agreed to accept current content control policies, a spokeswoman for the US technology company said.