Default programmes under Windows stand for installed applications that open files of certain formats when you double-click on them. This function is very useful because otherwise you would have to select the corresponding programme every time you open a file. You can find out how to set and change default programmes here.
Set default programmes: Windows 11 and Windows 10
Although Windows 10 and 11 differ in some ways, setting the default programmes is done in almost the same way. There are two ways to set the default programmes: Via a file or via the settings.
- Select the file for whose file type you want to set the (new) default programme. Right-click on the file and left-click again to continue to “Open with – Select another app”.
- Here you decide on the corresponding app or programme, select it and check the box “Always use this app to open “…”. Save this change by confirming the “Ok” button.
- From now on, this file type will be opened with the default programme you selected.
Windows 8 and Windows 7
In Windows 8 and 7, you can quickly set a default programme for your desired file type in just a few steps. Here, setting a default programme works almost the same, only the menu design differs a little in both.
- First find the file you want to open on your computer. Now click on the file on the right and under “Open with ☻” select the item “Select standard programme…” in the list below the suggested programmes.
- In the window that now opens, you can specify your desired standard programme for the file. Under the item “More options” you will find a larger selection of programmes and can make your own suggestions for the default programme.
- Make sure that you have checked the box “Use this app for all * files”. After clicking on a programme, the selection is confirmed. From now on, this file type will always open in the standard programme you have selected.