There is a blood alcohol limit for drivers in Germany. This is intended to prevent car accidents after drinking alcohol
This blood alcohol limit applies to drivers in Germany
In 2022 alone, there were 38,771 road accidents under the influence of alcohol in Germany. This is because many people completely misjudge their fitness to drive after drinking alcohol. There is a blood alcohol limit in Germany that clearly states when you are no longer allowed to drive a vehicle.
- There is a zero blood alcohol limit in Germany for novice drivers in their probationary period and people under the age of 21. Anyone who does not adhere to this must expect a point in Flensburg and a fine of 250 euros. Further conditions and additional training may also be imposed
- Above 0.3 per mille, you are only considered to be of limited driving ability in Germany. As long as you do not display any abnormalities when driving your vehicle, there are no consequences. However, if you show signs of unsafe driving, such as weaving or even causing an accident, you could face a fine or imprisonment, three points in Flensburg and the revocation of your driving license.
- If you are caught with more than 0.5 per mille at the wheel of a vehicle, this has serious consequences. This is because you are considered unfit to drive from this blood alcohol limit. This offense is punishable by a fine of 500 euros, two points in the central traffic register and a driving ban. The penalty is higher for repeat offenders or in the event of an accident.
- With an alcohol concentration of more than 1.1 per mille in your blood, you are considered to be completely unfit to drive. If you are caught with this blood alcohol level, you will be prosecuted. Regardless of whether you have caused an accident or not. In addition to a fine or prison sentence, you will receive three points in Flensburg. In addition, your driving license will be revoked for a certain period of time or even permanently
What you should know about fitness to drive after drinking alcohol
Drivers often overestimate their ability to handle alcohol and their fitness to drive. However, the limits mentioned above are sometimes very easy to reach.
- At a blood alcohol level of 0.3 per mille, vision deteriorates significantly. Movements and reflexes are also restricted. A woman weighing 60 kilograms reaches this level after drinking 0.1 liters of wine or 0.33 liters of beer. A man weighing 80 kilograms reaches this value with 0.2 liters of wine or 0.5 liters of beer.
- Depending on age, gender and weight, drinking the above quantities can already lead to a concentration of 0.5 per mille in the blood. These levels already lead to tunnel vision and ensure that reactions are slowed down and speeds are completely misjudged.
- With a blood alcohol level of 1.1 per mille, your field of vision is severely restricted and you suffer from impaired balance. With these levels, the risk of causing an accident is around ten times higher than for a sober person. From 1.6 per mille at the wheel, the authorities assume alcoholism