Summer rolls (Gỏi Cuốn) are the ideal snack for hot summer days. How to prepare the Vietnamese rolls plus two delicious recipe ideas can be found in this guidebook.
Recipe for summer rolls: Light cooking with rice paper
Summer rolls can be described as the Vietnamese version of the wrap. The basis is rice paper, which is filled with ingredients and rolled into a small package.
- Rice paper consists of soaked rice flour that is rolled out wafer-thin and dried. The rice paper does not have a strong flavour of its own, making it perfect for being filled with all kinds of goodies such as vegetables and chicken, meat or prawns.
- It is important to roll up the filled packets properly. Before you fill the rice paper, you should soak it in water. This makes it more flexible and easier to fold. Place the filling in the middle of the round sheets.
- Be careful not to put too much filling on the paper. Otherwise, the thin rice husk may tear or burst.
- Now place the bottom edge of the rice paper over the Now you still have to roll up the roll with a little pressure from the bottom to the top.
Summer roll recipe with meat
Actually, there is no need for a summer roll filling recipe at all. You can fill the rice sheets with rice noodle salad, herbs, meat, prawns and spices as you like. We have picked out two recipe ideas for your inspiration. Here comes a variation with roasted pork belly meat.
- Ingredients for four people: one pack of rice noodles, one iceberg lettuce, some fresh coriander, one piece of pork belly meat (1.5 kilograms), one pack of bean sprouts, fresh mint, eight sheets of rice paper, salt, pepper, soy sauce, vegetable fat for frying and marinating
- Rub the pork belly meat with vegetable fat and season with salt and pepper. Set the meat aside for 30 minutes and let the marinade soak in.
- Finish by cooking the meat in the oven at about 180 degrees top and bottom heat. Let it cook for 1 to 1.5 hours. In the next step, place the meat in the pan again and sear until crispy. Cut the piece of meat into thin slices.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions and let them cool. Then wash the lettuce, bean sprouts and herbs and portion everything out so that it fits well on the rice sheets.
- Place two moistened rice sheets on top of each other and put the individual ingredients together with the soy sauce on top. Then roll up as described above.
Vegetarian summer rolls
It doesn’t always have to be meat. The summer rolls can also be deliciously filled with vegetarian ingredients. Here is a recipe suggestion.
- For four people you need: one carrot, 8 grams of Thai basil, 8 grams of coriander, 8grams of mint, 160 grams of tofu, one small red pepper, two spring onions, half an iceberg or romaine lettuce, 50 grams of peanuts, eight sheets of rice paper, 50 grams of sesame seeds, 160 millilitres of saté sauce (peanut sauce), vegetable oil for frying, salt, pepper
- In the first step, process the carrot into narrow strips. Then chop the Thai basil, coriander and mint. Then cut the tofu into thin rectangles and the peppers and spring onions and lettuce into strips.
- Toast the nuts in a frying pan over a medium heat for about three to five minutes. In another pan, add the tofu along with some vegetable oil. Fry it over a medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes per side until golden brown. Then season with pepper and salt.
- Place two sheets of the soaked rice paper on each plate and fill with tofu, carrot, pepper, peanuts, sesame seeds, spring onions and herbs. Finally, pour some saté sauce on top. Now roll everything up and serve.
- Summer rolls are popular served with an additional dip or sauce, such as hoisin or soy yoghurt.
- Tip: You can also easily make a delicious sauce yourself, whether for filling or dipping. Mix two tablespoons of peanut butter with one tablespoon of soy sauce and 150 millilitres of vegetable stock or coconut milk. Season with chilli, garlic or ginger if required. Ready!