Since 2018, the iPad can be used with an eSIM. This allows you to use mobile internet without inserting a physical SIM card. In order for this to be possible, the requirements must first be met.
iPad with eSIM: These are the requirements
You can use an eSIM on the iPad if the conditions are met.
- The advantage of the eSIM is that you no longer have to insert the SIM card into the device. Instead, it is permanently installed and can be easily rewritten when you change providers.
- In order for the eSIM to be supported, it is important that your iPad is mobile-enabled. This is the case if the iPad has “Cellular” in the description.
- In addition, the iPad must have been launched in 2018 or later. Older devices only support the physical nano SIM card, not the eSIM.
- Your mobile phone provider must also support the eSIM. There are also more and more tariffs with this option in Germany.
- In addition to the large mobile phone providers Telekom, Vodafone and O2, smaller providers also offer eSIM tariffs. These include, for example, the Drillisch Group with brands such as simplytel.
Set up iPad with eSIM: How to do it
You can set up the eSIM on the iPad either by entering the data manually or via the QR code. The data for this will be sent to you by the mobile phone provider after you have signed the contract.
- Open the settings for the setup and tap on “Mobile data”.
- Tap on “Add new tariff” and select your mobile provider.
- The camera will open automatically and you can scan the QR code. Alternatively, you can enter the data of the mobile phone provider manually by tapping on the corresponding option.
- To complete the process, enter the confirmation code. You have also received this from your mobile phone provider.