To understand the meaning of the expression “No Cap”, it is helpful to be familiar with the current social media and music scene. However, it is basically just a slang expression used to emphasise the seriousness of a statement.
The meaning of the expression “No Cap “
“No Cap” is a slang expression that means that something is true or genuine without exaggerating or lying. It can be used in a similar way to “isso” or “vallah”.
- It can also be used as a kind of exaggeration to make it unmistakably clear to the interlocutor that you mean a statement and are not joking.
- In some cases, however, “No Cap” can also be used ironically to indicate an exaggerated or implausible statement. Here, pay close attention to the tone of what is being said to detect the irony.
- The context of what is said can also give you a clue as to whether something is meant seriously or rather ironically.
- “No cap” is particularly common in the social media scene and is used in memes and trending topics.
Origin of the term
The origin of the term can be traced to the language of African Americans.
- They gave the word “cap” another meaning than just “cap” from the beginning of the 20th century.
- “Cap” in this context can also be translated as “exaggerate”, “boast” or “lie”. “No Cap” therefore actually just means “not lying”.
- In American hip-hop culture, the expression was also used to emphasise the seriousness of a statement.
- The expression is also more common in rap lyrics.
- With the increased use of social media, the slang expression has gained popularity and is also used in other areas.