If the touchpad on your Dell laptop is not working, the problem can usually be fixed quite easily. There are several ways to troubleshoot.
Dell touchpad not working – the possible solutions
As with many problems, a reboot usually helps to resolve an error. If there is still an error with the touchpad, proceed as follows.
- In the Windows search box, type “touchpad settings” to get to the options.
- Enable the touchpad if it is not turned on. Make sure the touchpad stays on even if a mouse is connected, if you are using a mouse as an additional input accessory.
- Check the various settings such as touch pad sensitivity.
- If the problem persists, the driver may not be up to date. Click on “Advanced Touchpad Settings” and update the driver under the “Dell Touchpad” tab if necessary.
- Note: If your computer has a precision touchpad, the “Dell Touchpad” tab will not be displayed. In this case, go to the Dell support website, download and install the driver.
- If you were unable to resolve the touchpad malfunction, contact support via the Dell hotline for further assistance or possible repair.